Pigeon's Ranch is the only surviving historic structure on the battlefield from the time of the battle. The building that remains, a shed-roofed adobe house fronting on Highway 50 (the Santa Fe Trail), was the front room of the stage stop and lodging facility operated by Alexandre "Pigeon" Valle. In 1862 Pigeon's Ranch included buildings on both sides of the road, a large stone-walled corral (the ruins of which are visible in the photo below), and a well that was used by both armies during the battle. NM 50 sits just three feet from the historic building. The long-term impact of vibrations to the structure is one reason that this National Historic Landmark has been repeatedly listed as threatened.
The first component of the Battle of Glorieta Pass, also called the Battle of Apache Canyon, took place on March 26, 1862. Afterward, Pigeon's Ranch became an impromptu field hospital where the Federal wounded were cared for.
At the conclusion of the second component of the battle on March 28, Pigeon's Ranch was in the possession of the Confederate army, and was also used by them as a field hospital.